OKC VeloCity | Today is the deadine to request an absentee ballot

Today is the deadine to request an absentee ballot

By David McCollum / Inside OKC / October 31, 2018

Today is Halloween, the day when all the kids (and some adults) dress in their favorite costumes and go door-to-door to score as many treats as they can stuff in their bags. It’s also the last day to request an absentee ballot for next week’s elections and that’s no trick!

Absentee voting is an easy and convenient way to exercise your right to vote, so don't be scared to do it!!

Any registered voter in Oklahoma may vote by absentee ballot. It is not necessary to give a reason for voting absentee.

Submit your request online by 5 p.m. TODAY, Oct. 31, to vote absentee. You can also use the Oklahoma State Election Board’s online voter tool to confirm your registration, find your polling place or track your absentee ballot.

Early voting will begin tomorrow at your local county election board office. You can vote early the following dates and times:

Thursday, Nov. 1, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Friday, Nov. 2, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 3, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.

The Nov. 6 ballot will be full of important elections at every level of government, including five state questions and a special election to elect Oklahoma City’s next Ward 7 representative. Nikki Nice and Kirk Pankratz earned the most votes in the primary special election and will stand for a decisive runoff election on Nov. 6.

View what will appear on the ballot in Oklahoma, Canadian and Cleveland counties, and make sure you are prepared to cast an informed vote on Nov. 6.

How to Apply

Applications for absentee ballots must be made in writing or using the Oklahoma State Election Board's Online Absentee Voting Application. Absentee ballot application forms are available from all county election boards and from the State Election Board. Or, download a form here.

You may apply for absentee ballots for one election, for several elections or for all elections in which you are eligible to vote during the calendar year in which the application is submitted.

You may mail your absentee ballot application to the county election board, you may fax it or you may deliver your own application personally to the county election board office. (You may not deliver an application for another person, however. It's the law.) You may scan your signed application and e-mail it to your county election board. You also may send a telegram to apply.

Deadline to Request an Absentee Ballot:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 5 PM CDT

Special Conditions

Although any voter can vote an absentee ballot without giving a reason, the law still contains some "excuses" for voting absentee. Some voters benefit by using one of those excuses when they apply for absentee ballots. These excuses activate special conditions that make absentee voting even easier.

Physically incapacitated voters and voters who care for physically incapacitated persons who cannot be left alone may vote by absentee ballot. These voters may submit their applications only by mail, fax, or by an agent. If these voters choose to have their applications submitted to the County Election Board by an agent, the agent must be at least 16 years old and may not be employed by or related within the third degree by blood or marriage to a candidate whose name is on the ballot.The agent may act for only one voter per election.The agent will be asked to sign a form at the County Election Board office providing his or her name and attesting to these facts.

Physically incapacitated voters and voters who care for physically incapacitated persons who cannot be left alone are not required to have their signatures on the absentee affidavits notarized. They are required to have their signatures witnessed by two people.

Voters in nursing homes in the same county where they are registered voters may vote absentee. They may submit their applications only by mail or fax, or telegraph. An Absentee Voting Board will go to the nursing home a few days before the election to allow these voters to cast their ballots.

Oklahomans who are in the military or who are living overseas and their spouses and dependents may apply for an absentee ballot even if they are not registered to vote. (They must be eligible to be registered, however.) Military and overseas voters may submit their applications only by mail, fax or e-mail. Military voters should contact the Voting Assistance Officers in their units for application forms and information. Overseas voters may obtain the same materials at United States military installations, embassies and consulates, or online from the Federal Voting Assistance ProgramMilitary and overseas voters who need to contact their County Election Board in Oklahoma can find e-mail addresses here


Total Votes: 57 Avg Vote: 1