2020 Chamber Legislative Agenda unveiled
The Greater Oklahoma City Chamber recently adopted its legislative agenda, which outlines the Chamber’s legislative priorities for the upcoming legislative session. As the voice of the central Oklahoma business community, the Chamber advocates for pro-business legislation each year at the Capitol.
“Every year, we closely work with our members, partners and other stakeholders to develop a strong legislative agenda,” said Mark VanLandingham, Chamber senior vice president of Government Relations & Policy. “The collaborative process of determining which priorities to pursue begins nearly six months in advance of session and involves input from hundreds of local businesses and other stakeholders.”
The Chamber’s agenda addresses priorities covering a wide range of topics, including economic development, health care, education, transportation and others.
Among the Chamber’s legislative priorities are:
- Retaining and strengthening the state’s premier economic development programs to attract new businesses to the state and help existing businesses grow
- Enacting legislation to reform sentencing and fund rehabilitation programs to ease the financial drain on Oklahoma’s criminal justice system
- Developing a long-term, strategic investment plan for the state’s common education system and realigning its higher education system to better meet the needs of employers in occupations such as engineering, technology, software and healthcare
- Protecting the property rights of business owners and event hosts against irresponsible gun legislation
- Preserving funding for the Oklahoma Department of Transportation’s eight-year construction work plan, including ongoing construction projects at central Oklahoma’s major interchanges
The Chamber will advocate on behalf of its members at the State Capitol throughout the 2020 legislative session in pursuit of making Oklahoma a top ten state for economic development. Read the full list at OKCChamber.com/legislative. To stay informed of these efforts, sign up for alerts at okcbusinessadvocate.com.